Friday, April 1, 2011

Wheat

I was asked by a few people how we go about raising wheat for our bread making. It all happened quite by accident that I started grinding the wheat and making bread so I guess some background is in order. My bf milked cows for many years and upon quitting that went to being a crop farmer until three years ago. He sold all his big equipment and most of his land. When I moved in here he was just farming a few acres and working of the farm. We wanted to go back to farming the way it was done years ago and purchased some small machinery like he grew up with. We planted oats and wheat and we cut hay of our meadow land. I wanted to grind the wheat and make flour and bake bread so I started to do Internet searches on grinders. I saw a picture of one that looked just like something that someone had given me years ago. I had no idea what it was until I saw the picture. It was the Family Grain Mill and I am very happy with it. We have since rigged up a way to motorize it. I can purchase a motor for it but that was kind of spendy. So, I took it out of storage and started cranking!! Lo and behold, I started making bread. My bf eats tons of bread and now he won't go back to store bought for anything!
We had planted five acres of wheat. We have a small seeder and bought a small combine. We cleaned the grain with an old Clipper fanning mill and saved two 55 gallon plastic barrels, which I keep in my cold room. The rest we sold. This will probably last us a long time as there is usually just two of us here.
The bread baking is an ongoing learning experience. I have gotten rid of my aluminum bread pans for health reasons and have purchased 2 Old Mountain cast iron bread pans off of Amazon, which I am very happy with. I love cooking with cast iron and that will be my next post!
I hope this answers some of your questions.

1 comment:

  1. Wow--- will you post your favorite recipe thus far? I have 2 types of bread I bake here from a cool book called "No need to knead". I bake them on or in cast iron or porcelain as well. However I never thought about getting rid of my regular loaf pans. Need to read up on this too I suppose!

    ReplyDelete